Playing with Gallery2
Scoobyd mentioned she was playing around with Gallery2, which I didn’t even know existed. Gallery1 is a pretty decent way of having a photo album on your site, but isn’t really geared towards Photoblogs, but more random images, or images submitted by people (and it look(ed|s) like it might be growing into a monstrosity like PHP-Nuke did). Anyway, Gallery 1 wasn’t bad, but the install was possibly the most complicated simple install I’ve ever seen. 900 screens of stuff that looked horribly complex, but really you just hit “save” or “next” or “next tab” or “next page” or whatever it was.
Anyway, looks like they’ve done a lot of work on it. I downloaded and installed it quickly, installed, and was impressed.
- Database (mysql, postgresql) driven, so scalable to the Nth degree
- New clean look and feel (though it needs more themes)
- The slickest install I think I’ve ever seen, really, top rate
- Inclusion of some nice tools such as the Java Upload applet and a panorama viewer applet (full size images only)
- Much nicer laid out configuration and administration setup
- Modules so you can include or exclude options, such as users, voting, random image blocks, etc.
I’ve put up an import of my original gallery up here to check out the look and feel. However, I haven’t seen any huge problems with it, and while they are recommending caution (it’s at alpha-4 stage), I’d say give it a shot and see how you like it.